Oct 3, 2009

primary building activity


at church we had a super fun friday-night activity for the primary children with a "builder" theme.
We took the theme from a new song they learned this year called: "My Eternal Family." here are the sweet lyrics:

I am a builder working each day to build my family
And I will do the best I can do serve them lovingly
I am a builder growing so tall and learning every day
To speak with kindness in my home to help at work and play
I am a builder building a home; I seek the Lord in prayer
And as I try to live God's word I feel the spirit there
I am a builder serving the Lord and following His plan
To help my family come back home and live with Him again
My Heavenly Father sent me here and He knows I can be
Strong and righteous as I build my eternal family
(i love this song!)


to start, we had some " building welcome activities" to keep the kids busy until we were ready to start:

home-made play dough

blocks and legos


and pounding nails into wood with small hammers. scary for us but fun for them!


the first activity was "building King Benjamin's tower" out of marshmallows and toothpicks. King Benjamin is a prophet from the Book of Mormon.


they also built temples out of sugar cubes and frosting. most of the kids modeled them after the oakland temple or the salt lake city temple.


we put caution tape everywhere, it was the easiest and cutest decoration!


there is kerry the primary president talking to the kids after they willingly put on their darling hard hats! they wore them the whole time!


the older kids (8-12) helped put together the frame of "Nephi's ship" out of pvc pipe. Nephi is also a prophet from the Book of Mormon. the ship is now going to be used in primary as part of a Book of Mormon family challenge. each family at church is going to try to read the Book of Mormon every week and keep track. then once a month some of the children are going to paper mache pieces onto the boat according to how many chapters their family read that month! when we finish the ship we are going to fill it with candy and let the kids tear it apart like a pinata. they are really excited about it! our primary president is so creative!


thank goodness for all of the parents and teachers that came to help!

just building away!


all finished!


yummy marshmallows.


here's why 5 year olds don't build temples!


concentrating.


a ton of frosting and countless sugar cubes were consumed by these kids!


they washed down their sugar with nachos. apparently tons of people in pleasanton and dublin have nacho cheese machines! isn't that funny? the kids (and the adults) loved it! we had toppings, but mostly they just wanted the chips and cheese. and we only had one majorly cheesy spill. mostly they were really good about sitting on my bright green outdoor mat!


a line of lovely towers. i wonder how many actually made it home?!?


and finally, the inevitable running around and wrestling. oh boys!!


it was an awesome activity! i love being in primary!

2 comments:

Smith Family said...

What an awesome Primary activity day! What fun ideas! I love that song too! It gets stuck in your head! I miss being in Primary!

Britney said...

great ideas! what is your calling exactly? i'm the primary secretary in our ward.